Europe is the sixth largest continent in size and the third largest in population. It is bordered by the Mediterranean Sea to the south, Asia to the east, and the Atlantic Ocean to the West. Europe is a wealthy continent and is the center of the West and Western Democracy.
Europe has been the home to some of the Earth's greatest civilizations from Ancient Greece to the Roman Empire. It is also the home to the birth of democracy. Europe has been the central point of two of the biggest wars in modern history: World War I and World War II. Recently Europe has united under the common union called the European Union. This union allows independent European countries to have a single currency and to combine their economic and military power.
Population: 738,199,000 (Source: 2010 United Nations)
Area: 3,930,000 square miles
Ranking: It is the sixth largest and third most populous continent
Major Biomes: temperate forest, grasslands
- Moscow, Russia
- London, United Kingdom
- St Petersburg, Russia
- Berlin, Germany
- Madrid, Spain
- Rome, Italy
- Kiev, Ukraine
- Paris, France
- Bucharest, Romania
- Budapest, Hungary
Major Rivers and Lakes: Danube River, Elbe River, Loire River, Po River, Rhine River, Volga River, Ladoga Lake, Onega Lake, Lake Geneva, Lake Como
Major Geographical Features: Alps, Ural Mountains, Pyrenees, Carpathian Mountains, Apennines, Massif Central plateau, North European Plain, the islands of Great Britain and Ireland, Iberian Peninsula
Countries of EuropeLearn more about the countries from the continent of Europe. Get all sorts of information on each country from Europe including a map, a picture of the flag, population, and much more. Select the country below for more information:
Coloring MapColor in this map to learn the countries of Europe.
Click to get a larger printable version of map.
Fun Facts about EuropeEurope is home to the smallest country in the world, the Holy See or the Vatican. It is the smallest country both in size and population.
The tallest mountain in Europe is Mount Elbrus in Russia.
Europe is home to the birthplace of democracy and Western culture in the ancient civilizations of Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome.
Most of Europe now uses the same currency called the Euro.
The area of Russia that is west of the Ural Mountains is usually considered part of Europe. The area to the east of the Urals is considered part of Asia.
The Industrial Revolution began in Europe in Great Britain.
Europe Map Game
Europe - Capital Cities
Europe - Flags
Europe Word Search
Other Regions and Continents of the World:
Back to Geography Home Page
The Office of Public Affairs (OPA) is the single point of contact for all inquiries about the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
We read every letter, fax, or e-mail we receive, and we will convey your comments to CIA officials outside OPA as appropriate. However, with limited staff and resources, we simply cannot respond to all who write to us.
Submit questions or comments online
By postal mail:
Central Intelligence Agency
Office of Public Affairs
Washington, D.C. 20505
Open during normal business hours.
(please include a phone number where we may call you)
Contact the Office of Inspector General
Contact the Employment Verification Office
Before contacting us:
- Please check our site map, search feature, or our site navigation on the left to locate the information you seek. We do not routinely respond to questions for which answers are found within this Web site.
- Employment: We do not routinely answer questions about employment beyond the information on this Web site, and we do not routinely answer inquiries about the status of job applications. Recruiting will contact applicants within 45 days if their qualifications meet our needs.
Because of safety concerns for the prospective applicant, as well as security and communication issues, the CIA Recruitment Center does not accept resumes, nor can we return phone calls, e-mails or other forms of communication, from US citizens living outside of the US. When you return permanently to the US (not on vacation or leave), please visit the CIA Careers page and apply online for the position of interest.
To verify an employee's employment, please contact the Employment Verification Office.
- Solicitations to transfer large sums of money to your bank account: If you receive a solicitation to transfer a large amount of money from an African nation to your bank account in exchange for a payment of millions of dollars, go to the US Secret Service Web site for information about the Nigerian Advance Fee Fraud or "4-1-9" Fraud scheme.
- If you have information which you believe might be of interest to the CIA in pursuit of the CIA's foreign intelligence mission, you may use our e-mail form. We will carefully protect all information you provide, including your identity. The CIA, as a foreign intelligence agency, does not engage in US domestic law enforcement.
- If you have information relating to Iraq which you believe might be of interest to the US Government, please contact us through the Iraqi Rewards Program —